Saturday, March 14, 2015

(Obligatory) Update due to a month of silence...


It's been a while since I've written, so here's some of what's been going on in Honduras...

in no particular order…

End of the Second Partial/Parent Teacher Conferences

Two partials down…two to go. Parent Teacher Conferences were so much better this time around than the last time—mostly because I only saw about 10 parents rather than 20 something. However, some of the parents I needed to see did not come in, which was slightly frustrating. 


 Hike to Mt. Celaque

A group of 7 of us gringos took a weekend to hike up to the summit of Honduras’ tallest mountain and into its only cloud forest. We planned to reach the camp after about 5 hours on Saturday, and return on Sunday. We were clueless. The hike was by far the most physically exhausting thing I’ve done. It was endless, and it took us about 7-8 hours rather than the expected 5. To top it all off, when we reached the summit after another hour and a half on Sunday morning, we didn’t even have a good view. I came away amazed at what I could put my body through and still survive, as well as amazed at the beauty of a tropical jungle. So painful, but so worth it. 
the hike started out so innocent looking--
a simple frolic through the woods

a foggy morning walk up to the summit


Upon reaching the top--I felt a little like this map--
triumphant, but with a gaping hole of "i'm insane to have done this. Never again."

 Waving the White Flag

For any of you who have not heard through the grapevine, I will not be returning to Honduras for a second year here. If the hike was physically exhausting, this decision was emotionally and spiritually exhausting. 
Also, my resignation will probably go down in history as the most awkward. I did not have a chance to tell my principal at school before he left for the States to recruit, and so planned to email him. That afternoon, I worked out at a friend’s home, and afterwards talked to her for a couple of minutes about an emotional situation with a student. In the middle of that, who should knock at the door but my principal? So, hot, sweaty, red-faced, crazy-haired and stinky in my tank top and shorts (did I mention that shorts are not culturally normal here?), I opened the door to my very professional looking boss. Already emotional from my conversation about my student and emotional anyways about my decision, I started crying when I told him. Thankfully, I have a great principal and he handled it very graciously. Then I sped out of there to get home, shower, netflix binge, and savor some of my remaining Trader Joe’s dark chocolate. 
Please pray that God will give me peace about my decision, as it’s a decision I struggle with a lot of guilt and doubt over at times. Also, please pray for strength for the remainder of the year. 

 Job Searching

Since I can’t be a jobless bum when I return to the States (although a year of vacation sounds awfully wonderful!), the job search has begun. I hate job searching to begin with, but teacher applications have got to be the most time-consuming, (at times) annoying applications. They are exhausting and they take time away from my grading and lesson planning here. Also, job searching is making it really difficult to be content with what I have here, as I begin to look forward to all of the blessings to be found in a classroom in the States again. Since I can’t just stop searching, please pray that I can still find joy and contentment in my current job and students, even while I plan for the future. Also, please pray for wisdom for me in this process. 

 Book Club

My fifth graders and I wrapped up our first round of book clubs! Thank you again to everyone who donated for the books; my students have really enjoyed them. The clubs culminated in projects: everything from a character interview, letters to the author, ABC books about the novel, and dioramas. 

Tale of Despereaux

Peter Pan


Complete with author's face on top of the diorama

Captain Hook, from Peter Pan 
The One and Only Ivan--complete with moving elephant puppets

 Christmas in March

I shattered my french press here—a devastating tragedy for a night-owl teacher. Fortunately, a coworker’s sisters were coming to visit, so they brought me a new one. Along with that, I received two books to read—one a gift to myself, and another a gift from my dear professor— Dr. Hoekstra. It’s a book about teaching cross-culturally, written from a Christian perspective. I’ve begun reading it and am loving it. Thank you Dr. Hoekstra!


I got a pet! 

And no, it is not this cute puppy. ) : 


It’s a worm or parasite of some kind. Fortunately, I got some meds, and the creature(s?) stealing my nutrients and energy should be taken care of quickly.

how my medicine portrays parasites--colorful creatures with faces of fear--
they remind me of the souls from Little Mermaid

Fiesta Tipica

Abundant Life throws an annual party at each location to celebrate Honduran traditions—dance, dress, music, food, etc. The party is a fundraiser for students with scholarships and a way to promote the school in the community. It was a lot of fun to dress up in a typical dress and work in one of the booths selling food. I was at the “dessert” both. Now normally, a dessert booth would be a dangerous place to put me, but Honduran desserts are quite interesting, and I wasn’t tempted to stuff my face all day! 

With some of my coworkers, in front of my hut

                                            



with one of my students

platanos en miel (plantains in honey)
(all of the desserts seemed to be soaked in some honey sauce)

torrejas--bread soaked in some honey/cinnamon mixture

ayote en miel--some kind of squash in honey

due to rain, facepainting moved into our hut--another one of my students
this student LOVES math--and I love that! 

beautiful little girls from K5

No comments:

Post a Comment