Sunday, November 23, 2014

Scenic routes, seventh graders, and thanksgiving


A quick update: 

Ĵ
The road that leads up to school...
to say it's a bumpy ride is an understatement...

but to say it's a beautiful drive is also a serious understatement...


 
 
A long time ago, after studying ratio and proportion in 7th grade Math, I gave them a project in which they had to enlarge real life objects. A lot of the groups struggled either mathematically or artistically, but there were a couple that turned out really well and I was so proud of their work and wanted to document the results to share with future classes so they have a better idea of what is expected in the project! 



some proud seventh graders

wasn't able to catch the group of students
who created this, unfortunately!





 Love it when the Spelling/Vocab lists are more concrete and encourage better student understanding as well as artistry!
 
finally got around to hanging more pictures in my apartment (:
In other news, my computer is still out of commission. The person who came out two weeks ago forgot to bring it unfortunately. It has now been shipped to another person who is coming I believe on December 1.

Parent-teacher conferences went well last week (or was it two weeks?) ago, thank you for the prayers. I had only one set of parents who I considered more eager to blame me as the teacher and not their daughter, but even that meeting ended on a good note. The whole day was emotionally and physically exhausting, though. I had been told to expect some down time and breathers between parents, but in the time from 2:30-6, I did not have a single spare second. I counted and I saw a total of 22 students' parents. Slightly crazy, as that is still only about 1/3 of my students between 5th and 7th.

Yesterday, we had our first of two Thanksgivings in Honduras-- the one today was held at the home of some missionaries here and we had a total of 83 people! The babies were adorable and the food was delicious, and it was a wonderful way to celebrate thanksgiving here. On Thursday, all of the ALCS North American teachers will be traveling to Tegucigalpa to celebrate again at a feast provided by the school. Before we travel home again on Saturday, we'll also have the opportunity to see a movie in the theaters and do some shopping in a mall! We're all very excited!

Finally, enjoy some of my most recent heartwarming and hilarious student quotes:

- "Thank you Miss for teaching me about reducing fractions in Math. I didn't understand it last year but I understand it this year"

- "Miss, yesterday on the bus I made love to Miss W and her friend Miss B".... what the student meant was that he had fun entertaining them on the bus, as he is one of my class clowns...and also the student who only began learning English 6 months ago

- On a vocabulary quiz with a section of writing the correct word for the definition, one of my sweet quiet girls wrote ______________________ someone who is kind and nice, and then filled in the blank with Miss De Boer <3

Seriously, it is the moments with students like this that make it all worth it...all of the stress and frustration melts away. So thankful for all of my students, but especially for the little moments like these in the past two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment